A sad day and a change of plans

Today, when we were riding the ferry to Hovedøya, Diana got a call from her sister letting us know that Diana’s mom has taken a turn for the worse in the hospital, and is now in the ICU (Diana’s mom had gone into the hospital last week for stomach pain that was discovered to be pancreatitis). After rushing back to our place, a lot of phone consultations with family, and scouring travel websites, Diana is booked for a flight back to Atlanta tomorrow and should be home by around 9pm. It was a really tough call for us to decide whether or not John, Maddie and Ada should join her, but some good news later in the day made us think it would probably be better to wait and not subject the girls to a long flight back the states. Please do keep Diana’s mom in your thoughts and prayers.

It does mean that we will be cancelling our trip to Athens which was supposed to begin on Wednesday. Diana won’t be able to volunteer with A Drop in the Ocean, but hopefully we’ll be able to reschedule that for next summer.

For the next week or two, I’ll be doing my best to get settled into Norway with the girls, and Diana will be helping her mom to get well. With any luck, Diana will be back here before we know it, and we hope Diana’s mom will be booking tickets to visit us in Norway, too.

Today also happens to be our 12th anniversary, which is a great reminder of the power of love and the meaning of “in sickness and in health.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s